Planning a wedding in New York City can be demanding, including allocating budget to different NYC wedding vendors. One vendor to consider is a wedding photographer. Your wedding is a major highlight in your life, so maybe it’s worth investing in hiring a wedding photographer who will capture precious memories on your wedding day. A good wedding photographer can add value to other vendors too! It’s because when your wedding is over – wedding cake eaten, food consumed, the music fades, wedding dress removed, and flowers dried, all that’s left are photos of them. And you can relive everything all over again every day through your beautiful pictures. So, what is the cost to hire a NYC wedding photographer?
The average cost of a wedding photographer in New York
The cost to hire a NYC wedding photographer ranges between $3000 and $12,000 for an 8-hour or 10-hour wedding day coverage. Some may charge $3000 – $5000, others $5000 – $7000 up to $12,000 (or more). The average is around $4500 – $7000. And since the industry is not regulated, prices can vary substantially, depending on a lot of factors.
What are the things influencing the price?
Several factors are influencing the prices quoted by NYC photographers. Here are the important ones:
- Time – The average hours included in wedding packages is 8-10. But that’s not just that! It’s essential to keep in mind that a photographer spends a great deal of time planning with you (months or even a year) before the wedding, and even more time after the wedding itself, doing post-production stuff.
- The number of photographers – Some packages include a second shooter, and having an extra shooter might be a good idea if your guest list is huge and you want everything to be covered.
- Products & Services Included – Some photographers have complimentary engagement sessions, high-resolution digital images, photo albums, photo booths, etc., but some do not. You see, not all price lists are the same. So it’s best to check all inclusions of a package when you’re comparing price lists.
- Experience – Most photographers charge based on their experience. You can expect that a NYC wedding photographer who spent many years honing their craft can work with you seamlessly. They know precisely the right moments to document photos of you, your family, and friends and have perfected his/her wedding photography style. And mostly, the more experienced, the higher the price. Really, the cost to hire a NYC wedding photographer lies heavily on this factor.
- Marketing Efforts – There are many wedding photographers in New York City, and the competition is high. So for NYC wedding photographers to stay afloat in business, they need to double or triple their marketing efforts, which entails their cost.
What is included in the packages?
Wedding packages in New York may include all or some of the following:
- 8-10 hours of wedding coverage
- Photographer Assistant
- Online gallery
- High-resolution digital images with a USB drive
- Wedding Album
- Complimentary engagement sessions
- Engagement dinner coverage
- Rehearsal dinner coverage
There are many factors to consider in choosing the best photographer for your wedding, and everyone has their price. And the cost to hire a NYC wedding photographer varies a lot! But at the end of the day, it all boils down to these questions – What kind of wedding photography style do you genuinely want? (Traditional, Photojournalistic, Editorial, Contemporary, etc.) What type of personality do you look for in your wedding photographer? (like someone who can make you comfortable in front of the camera and someone who can bring out the best in you for your photoshoots on your big day) What are you most concerned about – value or price? Again, when the wedding is over, all that’s left are priceless memories captured in your photos. You can pass these very precious memories on for generations to come.
UPDATE: February 2023
Are you starting to plan your wedding for 2023? If yes, it’s important to note that Wedding photography prices in NYC have risen significantly since 2021, and the cost of hiring an experienced photographer with a portfolio of stunning images can be restraining. Hence, we’re updating this blog post. As of 2023, the typical prices for a wedding photographer in NYC are as follows:
Master Photographers, who have years of experience and expertise in the industry, can cost upwards of $30,000 for their services. (I know some master photographers who charge 50-100k per wedding!)
Tenured Photographers with years of experience and a strong portfolio of work may cost between $18,000 and $22,000.
Emerging Photographers, who are talented but relatively new to the industry, may cost between $9,000 and $12,000.
Lastly, Freshmen Photographers, who are just starting out in the industry, may cost between $3,500 and $5,500.
Remember that wedding photography is an investment, and it is essential to select a photographer who can capture the essence of your emotions on your wedding day while fitting your budget!
With over ten years of professional experience and having shot countless weddings, I’m proudly a tenured photographer who provides stunning, authentic, and candid photos with an editorial, high-fashion spin. And I would be more than excited to chat with you to discuss what you have envisioned for your wedding day!